Monday, January 03, 2005

I didn't get as many snowflakes blocked before Christmas as I would have liked to, but I did do some.



There were intended to be giftoids for the people I work with, but since I didn't get them done until the morning of the 24th, I was too late. Noboby was at work on the 24th, so I hung them on my tree instead. So pretty! I may still give them away as Happy New Year gifts.

I still have about 50 flakes to block, but I need to make more copies of the blocking diagram so I can do more than 15 at once. There's just something about crocheted snowflakes that pleases me no end. Radial symmetry, delicate white frothy lace, quick to make, and stiffened to show off the stitches.

These are made with #30 Cebelia thread and a #11 hook. Though using #10 thread makes larger flakes, I like the more delicate look of smaller thread. The large one on the top left makes an 11" flake as written for #10 thread, but mine came out about 8". I have a book of 12 of these huge snowflakes (Super Snowflakes to Crochet by Helen Milinkovitch Milton, Leisure Arts 1993) that I have a secret plan to crochet in cotton quilting thread. They will be all for me, and I will hang them on my tree next year, and I will be sublimely happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very intricate!
Yoko

Joni said...

The snowflakes are simply beautiful.