Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Since I don't have anything to spin right now, I decided to do some crocheting. Because I had to do something that I can finish before mid-August. I get this way in late June and July, in anticipation of the County Fair. The Fair booklet came in the mail a couple days ago, and I spent a happy half-hour browsing through it and thinking about what I'll enter this year.

I spent a lot of time recently re-doing Dad's sweater, and I can't enter that since I already did, so I don't really have a lot to enter this time. Mostly what I've been doing is spinning, and I'll enter at least three of those skeins (the laceweight merino/silk, the Rambouillet x Cormo, and one of the Colonials, as well as possibly the black laceweight alpaca), but I want to have other things too! The hardanger sachet will go in, and a woven chenille scarf, and four pairs of socks, and a little knitted doily, and a child's knitted hat, and a crocheted snowflake mobile, and possibly the alpaca shawl (though maybe not, as my spinning wasn't great for the yarn). Oh, wait. I guess I have been doing things besides spinning!

But I do want to enter some crochet things. San Juan County has lots of knitters and weavers, but not many crocheters, so that category always looks a little sparse. Since I enjoy crochet, I always try to put several things in. Plus, I'll admit, I like the reduced competition for Best of Class in crochet.

So, on Monday night I made this bookmark (it's not blocked yet, so ignore the wiggly edges):



This is crocheted out of tatting thread (#80 crochet cotton), using a #14 steel hook. It's about 7" long, not including the tassel. It was originally a table runner pattern, written for #10 crochet cotton (each motif 4" square). I just used six of the motifs (mine are 1" square) and modified the seventh to be a triangle instread of a square. Very pretty, quick, and satisfying.

Then yesterday, I started this:



This is a pattern from 1917, republished by Old-Time Crochet Magazine. I found it as a freebie on FreePatterns.com. (Which is a pretty good site- you have to sign up to see the patterns, but they do have some nice ones, and I don't think I've ever gotten spam from them.) As written, for #10 crochet cotton, it comes out 30" across. I'm making it in sewing thread, and as you can see, it's quite a bit smaller. That's 21 of 60 rounds finished, and just under three inches across! That's about four hours' work.

I don't know why I like crocheting doilies so much, especially doilies out of such ridiculously fine thread, but I do. They're completely useless, except to be so pretty. It's so fun, though, to see people's faces when they look at super-fine-thread crochet and ask me how I can do that! Maybe that's showing off or bragging or whatever, but I get a kick out of it.

4 comments:

waterlilysage said...

ooooh that gives me a migraine just loooking at it. i admire the fine needlework but it makes me dizzy.

Anonymous said...

The crocheting is lovely. My mom used to make doilies when I was younger-- I hope to have her teach me someday soon.

Liz said...

I have all these crocheted doilies from my grandma, and they are pretty (but useless). It's a wonderful talent, and it's good to see someone carrying it on. Your county fair sounds like it has an amazing display of local talent.

Unknown said...

I haven't crocheted the fine stuff in forever but you have inspired me. Yours are truly lovely and not at all useless when displayed to add beauty. Bookmarks are always useful!

Love your blog and will be back for more.