Monday, November 07, 2005

In another screeching change of direction, I started a weaving project after finishing up all the cranberry yarn. I do seem to flit not only between projects, but between types of projects, don't I? I guess that keeps it all interesting. And there are so many fun fibery things to do, that I want to do them all!

So Saturday night, I wound a warp for placemats. And, not being content with just winding the warp, I proceeded to thread up my rigid heddle loom, tie it on, and weave two placemats. Can you say obsessed? Another waaaaaayyy too late night.



I do love the look of a freshly dressed loom! There's such a world of possibilities and anticipation.....

I wove the second two placemats Sunday.



These haven't been wet-finished yet, so they still look a little uneven. I'm reasonably pleased with these, though the variegated yarn wasn't thoroughly successful as warp. The yellow pooled more than I thought it would. It worked well in the weft, though.



Hemstitching is a much more polished finish than knots for the warp ends. Plus, you do it while the fabric is in progress, so once you're done weaving, you're done!

I do have a confession, though. (Why am I admitting this??!!) It's apparently not a good idea to be calculating your warp length at 9:00 at night. I was so eager to start the project that I didn't think through my calculations very well. Instead of winding a 7 foot warp, I did a 7 yard warp! Oops. I think I'll do a couple runners as well....

And here's a shot of the glorious sky today, after three days of rain and a hailstorm last night. This is the view from the lab where I work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! While at Rhinebeck I started to hear the call of the loom - much louder than the call of spinning wheels that most knitters go nuts for. :) I'm impressed with your diverse set of skills . :)

Unknown said...

The view from your lab window almost makes me want to go back to lab work. Almost but not quite. I worked in iduestrail chemistry formulationg printing ink. Low level chemistry not anything remotely high tech. Hated it. Would rather stay home! jeff is the chemist in the family now. Same bussiness. Now if you can see orca in your view I'm going to be really jealous.