Monday, November 28, 2005

This is unbelievable. The crocheted snowflake mobiles have been on display in the gallery for four days, and I have already sold all three and gotten orders for two more. If this keeps up, I’m going to be crocheting snowflakes for the rest of the winter. I’m not complaining, though!

I finished the fourth mobile on Saturday. I think I like this one the best so far. The curvy wiggly stick on the left is so cool.



In addition to the mobiles, I also put some individual large snowflakes and garlands of three small-to-medium ones in the gallery. Two individuals and one garland have sold. Why haven’t I done this before?!

To take a break from crocheting, I spun a bit on Saturday. I got this last time I was off island, because I apparently have no power to resist the siren song of Ashland Bay Colonial top. This is 16.3 oz, in the Multicolor Green colorway.



This is such pretty stuff. It’s basically dark green, but with yellow, medium green, purple, red, light blue, royal blue, and black tossed in as well.



It spins into yarn that is a dark forest green, almost black, from a distance, but when you get close all the other colors pop out. Just beautiful.



This picture shows up a bit too blue on my monitor, but you get the idea. The singles are about 36 wpi, spun worsted, and will be three-plied.

This is my “comfort yarn”, the yarn I love to spin. It’s my default singles size. When I sat down to spin on Saturday, it was like taking a deep breath and sliding into a hot bath. Plus, this top is so well prepared that I don’t even have to think about it. My fingers just go, my foot treadles, and my mind can drift. I watch the fibers being drawn out and twisting around each other, the colors blending and changing, and it’s like I sort of step out of myself.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Sue, those snowflakes are incredibly beautiful, so it's no surprise at all that they are selling well. You may have mentioned this before, but are they based on a pattern or are you making them up as you go? Congratulations on your success so far. :)
I can still be so amazed at how a roving like that can change when spun up. What do you think you'll do with it?

CrazyFiberLady said...

What great news about the snowflakes. Congratulations.

That roving is beautiful as are the singles! Hmm, might have to get some of that stuff for myself.

Claire said...

Sue I was talking to some collegues about your amazing crochet yesterday. I am not suprised that your mobiles are selling :-)
Cheers
Claire