Thursday, June 08, 2006

I finally finished spinning the latest batch of Ashland Bay colonial top, which I started in March then didn’t work on at all for more than a month.



This is 1120 yards and 15 oz /430 g of puffy, squishy, delicious two-ply. It’s about 11 wpi. I made a conscious effort while I was spinning the singles to make them a bit thicker than my default yarn and not put too much twist in, so that the two-ply would be soft and lofty. I spun this worsted, though, so it’s not quite as lofty as a woolen-spun yarn would be. I’m going to use this for weaving and I wanted a yarn that would hold up as warp. It seems to be a good compromise between soft and strong.

I love this color, too. The official Ashland Bay name is “Burgundy,” but it looks nothing like what I picture as burgundy. It’s an almost perfect plummy eggplant color, which my camera refuses to capture, shot through with red and yellow and green and blue. Multicolor rovings make such a lively yarn!



I'll close there for now, before Blogger crashes again and I get kicked out. I couldn't access my blog all day yesterday, and most of this morning. Darn it, I had yarn pictures to post!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Ooh, beautiful!

Anonymous said...

those are purdy!

I am not nearly as proficient in my spinning as you are. *envy*