Monday, May 07, 2007

Panda cory fry, various ages, ranging from 9 days to 1 day.



As Liz so aptly named it, The Panda Cory Show continues. All my cory eggs have now hatched, with a loss of five along the way. I have 10 fry, out of 15 eggs. The first three fry to hatch succumbed to something on Friday night- I was very sad to find them floating when I checked the tank first thing Saturday morning- and two more eggs molded. There is one baby left from the initial batch of four eggs; it's the largest one in the video, though it's a bit hard to tell which is which. All of the second batch of eggs hatched out noticeably larger than the first four.

Just to be safe, I ordered a starter culture of microworms so I can feed them tiny live food. I think they may not have been eating the powdered flakes and/or the egg yolk was making the water in their little tub icky. In any case, I have discontinued the egg yolk and smooshed the flakes more to make the powder finer. The culture should get here tomorrow or Wednesday, so hopefully they can hold on that long. Microworms (Panagrellus sp.) are tiny 1/16" nematodes, easy to culture, and excellent fish fry food. Hopefully if the losses on Friday were due to unacceptable food, the microworms will work out better.

I also have fibery activity to report. I finally, FINALLY finished twisting the fringe on the last two huck lace stoles. They are washing as I type this, and will be pressed tomorrow, then they will finally be done. I need to get something back on the loom. I haven't woven in forever. Or knit. Or crochet. Or anything.

2 comments:

froggiemeanie said...

Is it wrong that I went "Awwwwwww" when I saw all those wee fishies swimming around? Fast critters, aren't they?

Quail Hill Knits said...

How cool! My 11 year son was looking over my shoulder as I watched the video. He then wanted to see the rest of the blog and thought your review of the yolk, tail, and eggs was so much better than a huck lace shawl. I, however, am looking forward to seeing the shawl.