Saturday, February 02, 2008

The first bobbin of silk singles is done and rewound, ready for plying.



The singles are ~65 wpi. I love the way the colors shift randomly through various shades of lavender and green, though you can't really see much of the green here on the rewound bobbin.



I dyed the second 2-oz portion yesterday, and started spinning it this afternoon. It's so startling to see silk roving after it's been dyed and rinsed. Even after it's dry, it looks like something the cat horked up and left on the carpet. Compacted, lumpy, and unlovely. Well, as unlovely as pure silk roving can ever be. ;-)



Here's a little before and after comparison for you. Before:



And after pulling ever so slightly, that very same spot in the roving puffs up, the fibers align, and it's ready to spin:



A wheel view of the whole two ounces, ready to spin:



Oh yes, there is much silken, sheeny gorgeousness in my house today.....

7 comments:

Caroline M said...

It's just so very much lighter when spun, it's not at all what I would have expected (yes, I know, undyed on the inside)

Weaving?

Jackie said...

The only time that I managed to get silk roving dyed to the very center was a huge mistake, but to make a long story short, I let it simmer on the stove for about an hour before adding the vinegar (I was using acid dyes, but thought that it was cochineal (don't ask)) The colour penetrated all the way to the center! And, being silk, it didn't felt! Do you do any other preparations before spinning, or is it just that little fluff up?

PJ said...

Oh, it's the DIME thing! I love that! ;)

Unknown said...

You always astound me with your spinning. Coooooooool.

Bess said...

Beautiful beautiful colors! They blend perfectly with the woodland photo in the previous post, too.

love me some silk roving.

Ann said...

Beautiful singles and dye job.

Can you tell me where you get your storage bobbins?

Sue said...

Hi Ann- I can't reply to you directly, because your Blogger profile isn't public and I can't see your email. Hopefully you'll see this!

I got the cardboard storage bobbins at Weaving Works in Seattle, though any weaving store should have them, and I've seen them on eBay too. They're made for weaving (sectional warping), but work great for storing singles! And at less than a dollar apiece, you can't beat the price.