Monday, June 16, 2008

My in-laws have been visiting for the past week, and in between the cooking and keeping the house tidy and sightseeing trips, I've been spinning. It's a good activity for casual interaction while sitting around and chatting or they're reading or whatever. It makes me feel engaged and companionable, but not the center of attention, and it gives me something to do with my hands.

I decided to start spinning Herkel's wool, the Merino x Columbia fleece from last fall, even though I haven't finished combing it. I don't have a lot combed yet, but since I'm spinning this ridiculously fine, even the little bit of top I have will take a nice long time to turn into singles.



That's 36 grams spun up, and I have 63 grams of combed fiber left. I figure I'll spin everything I have combed so far onto one bobbin, then comb a second 100g batch, spin that separately, and ply them together. The singles are about 120-140 wpi, right on target, so this will be a LOT of yardage!

The hand-combed top is a joy to spin.

4 comments:

Charleen said...

Wow! You're right - you'll have plenty of time to get the rest combed :-) It's really lovely. Oh, congratulations on being rehired. Will it be full-time?

CrazyFiberLady said...

Holy geez. That's gorgeous! You make my spinning look downright bulky weight!

cyndy said...

If I were sitting around whilst you were spinning...you WOULD be the center of attention...I would really enjoy watching how you spin that beautifully thin yarn ;-)

120-140wpi...very nice!

Leigh said...

You sound like me when it comes to company, *lol*. The singles are lovely, if not enviable!