Saturday, September 20, 2008

Emma and I spent about an hour this morning picking plums. It's so easy to pick "just one more" and before we knew it, we had 25 pounds of fruit.



That's just half our haul. We could easily have picked three times as many - the trees were loaded. These are Italian plums, with yellow flesh and purply-blue skin. These are on the small side, about an inch and a half in diameter.



Pretty, but not really much to write home about when eaten fresh. They're moderately sweet and juicy, but not outstanding. Cooked for jam, though, they're transformed. The bitter/sour skin and sweetish pulp blend and something synergistic happens. I don't think I've ever had plum jam before, and it's not quite like anything else. A bit like grape, a bit like blackberry, but with a tang all its own.

I processed 2/3 of the plums this afternoon: 36 half-pints of plum jam.



That is a lot of jam. Both this and the peach jam from last week are lower sugar recipes, relatively speaking, and you don't miss it at all. The fresh peach flavor shines through beautifully, and the plum jam is perfectly tart-sweet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the strand-y-ness of the texture...I really like that for some reason. Plum jam may be my very favorite.

Leigh said...

WOW! Look at all the yummy things you've been doing! And congrats on the blogoversary. Keep up the good work!

PJ said...

Funny when you see the growth of your child,huh? Happy Blog BD and my you have been busy...do you sell these jellies? That is a lot of plum jam..I can imagine that it is very good!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your activities! I have fond memories of a solitary Italian plum tree in the corner of the yard of my childhood home! It was planted for us by our immigrant Italian neighbor. Such delicious fruit! Happy autumn!! Maggie in Milwaukee

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your jam from afar! I lost my two plum trees a few years ago and have replanted, but it's too early to get plums yet. (and my new pollinator died, so we're relatively starting anew). Yum for the jam!!!!

AND thanks for finding my misnumbered posts. I will reward you for your efforts. Watch the blog in the next couple of days. Thanks!