Saturday, February 20, 2010

My dad gave Emma a whole pile of assorted story CDs for Christmas a couple years ago, which he recorded off the 30+ year old records that my sister and I listened to when we were children.

Emma was listening to the "Lady and the Tramp" CD earlier today, and I told her that I listened to those same stories when I was her age, which she thought was very cool.

Then she asked if I still have my CD player from when I was little. I had to explain that we didn't have CDs then, and that I listened to the stories on records.

Silence.

"What are records?"

She did finally know what they were when I described them, and said that she saw some in the library at school. Then she looked up at me quizzically.

"Are you from the olden days, Mommy?"

Gah. This was so not what I needed to hear two days after my 39th birthday.

2 comments:

Yoko said...

Hey-- happy belated birthday! I had mine a couple weeks ago, but have just celebrated it with my folks today.

froggiemeanie said...

Happy belated birthday! I know how you feel, my girls love retelling how when I was a kid there were no remote controls and we only had two channels and cartoons only came on Saturday mornings. They ooh and ahh and tsk at my misfortune and I feel like a real fossil.