Sunday, November 22, 2015

Bread on Sunday

Emma says that we should make bread every Sunday.  Who am I to argue?

Crock-pot pot roast. Oven-roasted veggies. Home made cinnamon swirl whole wheat bread. Yum.

This is the same recipe as last week, but swapping out 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour for part of the white flour, and adding a good sprinkle of cinnamon in the middle before rolling it up to shape the loaf.  Mmmm.  Adding the whole wheat flour was an improvement, and the bread is really good.

Add in a chuck roast cooked on "low" in the slow cooker for 9 hours (with thyme, lemon balm, salt, and pepper added in the last hour), potatoes and carrots roasted in the oven for an hour with rosemary, thyme, pepper, and olive oil. and WOW.  The roast was succulent and falling-apart tender, the veggies were so sweet, and the bread was amazing as only fresh home made bread can be.

Yum.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

That looks so. freakin. good.

I'm guessing a roast is the first one I'll be cooking too! No, wait...I'll be making lasagna for Wednesday night when the whole family is here. And using some ground beef!

And there was a time when I'd bake bread almost every weekend using the Bread Maker's Apprentice cookbook (I think that's the name). Perhaps I should go back to that habit!

Anne said...

This cold weather and your food posts are inspiring me to cook more. Last night it was black bean soup and muffins, all from scratch. YUM. I also used to make bread frequently, problem is I eat it too fast (you gotta eat a loaf with real butter while it's still warm, isn't that the rule?)

Sue said...

Get some small loaf pans and split the recipe into four or more mini-loaves! Bread freezes really well, and you can always warm it up in the oven before a meal.