Saturday, July 02, 2016

Easter in July

I have an Easter cactus (Rhipsalidopsis) that randomly blooms throughout the year, with a larger flush of flowers in the spring (hence the Easter name).  Today it opened two flowers.

Rhipsalidopsis (Easter cactus)

This started as a cutting off a plant marked as the ever-present "Christmas cactus", but the flowers are different, the stem segments have bristles, and it's in a completely different genus.  But other than that, Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter cacti are... you know... all exactly the same.  Hooray for mis-marked plants.

However, since this "cutting" was a broken piece of the plant that I picked up off the floor at Walmart, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Rhipsalidopsis (Easter cactus)

I grew this from a two-segment piece about four years ago.  I stuck it in a little pot and it grew, and it's been blooming since about six months after I planted it.  I really like it.

No comments: