Friday, June 30, 2017

Treasure

I was out on a job site yesterday, and as I was opening a gate to get onto the property, a pair of western kingbirds kicked up a almighty fuss, swooping around and squawking and chittering.

I didn't think much about it, but when they did the same thing at the same spot when I was leaving the property, it made me pause.  They were still swooping around and yelling at me, and alternately perching on the nearest bush. 

Western kingbird

I took a closer look at my surroundings, and spotted this fuzzy clump in the angle of a fence post, safely held in place by the barbed wire cross bracing.

Western kingbird nest on a fencefence

It held treasure.

Western kingbird nest and eggs, on a fence

Four perfect eggs, beautifully speckled with rich mahogany brown.  I snapped a couple pictures and left quickly so I wouldn't stress out the parents any more than I already had.

Seeing eggs in a nest is so special and rare.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Very Cool!