Monday, March 21, 2005

Well, we solved the mystery of the remote. I had started to think it wasn’t Emma’s fault at all, but me who had put it somewhere without realizing it. I looked everywhere- freezer, pantry shelves, oven. EVERYWHERE. For like the fourteenth time. Then, as I was dusting on Wednesday, I asked her again "where’s the remote," and she did this:



Yes, that’s right, she stuck her arm into the speaker. I tilted it and heard something slide inside. Apparently, the hole in the front only goes about halfway back, then there’s just open space, with enough room for the remote to fall to the bottom. In order to get it out, we had to completely remove the speaker assembly from the back. The fun never ends...

Fibery activities in the past few days have been somewhat limited because my in-laws were visiting. I spun another bobbin of singles of the Colonial top, and plied up another skein of three-ply. I think I’ve got a little more than half the top plied into finished yarn, and another couple ounces still on the bobbins as singles. I started the second sleeve for Dad’s sweater, and got through two cable repeats. Other than that, I haven’t done anything except visitor-y things.

I really do like Shaun’s dad and stepmom, but I was sort of glad when they left today. It’ll be nice to get back to our usual routine. I feel like I didn’t have a weekend, with all the visiting and driving around and cooking. Plus, our car wasn’t quite big enough for the four grownups plus Emma’s carseat, so we put the seat in their rental car and Shaun’s dad drove everywhere. Let me just say right here that I do not like his driving. It’s very scary, what with the random steering, jerky braking, erratic speed control, and inability to follow directions. I get a tension headache within about three minutes, and it doesn’t go away for hours. Every time I drive with him, I tell myself “never again,” but somehow I keep having to. You can’t exactly tell your (otherwise really very nice) father-in-law that he’s a menace and you don’t want to get in a car with him at the wheel. Actually, maybe I should have said just that.

One nice thing about having them here was that I could leave Emma with them so I could go to aerobics class. (Yes, I’m still going!) The childcare at the gym only goes until 10:20, but my class goes to 11:00. Normally, Shaun picks her up so I can finish the class, but with Grandma and Grandpa here, the three of them just stayed home and played. I don’t know what I’m going to do starting next week. Shaun’s teaching a class this quarter, and won’t be available. Need to think about that.

On a completely unrelated tangent, last night I dreamed that Anubis (from Stargate SG-1 TV show) was really a Sith Lord (from Star Wars movies), and we were battling while riding Pern dragons (from Anne McCaffrey books). Now I’m having crossover sci-fi dreams.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had to mention in-laws visiting, didn't you?

Wow, I can just barely remember the days of toddlers destructomania. Fortunately, they mostly grow out of it by the time they're 16 or 18 or so. ;-)

Anonymous said...

ha! -waterlilysage