I had hoped to have a beautiful picture of the finished doily to show off today, but alas, it was not to be. As I was washing dishes on Sunday morning, I somehow managed to slice my left thumb open on the edge of the blender. Not even the sharp metal spin-around-thingy inside, which would at least be understandable. No, I injured myself on the edge of the plastic jug part. How stupid is that?
So I didn't get much crocheting done on Sunday, due to a missing divot from the tip of my thumb. Luckily it didn't hurt anymore by yesterday, and I was able to make tremendous progress, even though I was somewhat impeded by the Band-Aid. I'm now on the last round and I'm thinking two hours tonight will finish it.
To entertain you until the unveiling (hopefully) tomorrow, here's the thread I'm using. It comes wound on a cylindrical tube, about 2 1/2 inches high. I got mine at Jo-Ann's. It's really very nice.
Because I am a science geek, I also staged a little comparison to show the size of the thread:
Left to right those are #30 Cebelia crochet thread, #80 DMC tatting thread, and the #50 sewing thread for the doily. The sewing thread is slightly thinner than the tatting thread. It doesn't show up very well in the picture- you'll have to trust me. I tried and tried to get a good shot, but it's really hard to take a picture of white thread!! Maybe I'll be really geeky and get a picture using a microscope. I was going to put some #10 crochet cotton in there too, since that is the most widely used crochet cotton, but I realized that I don't have any!
Sewing thread has a different sizing scale than crochet cotton, which is why the #50 sewing thread is smaller than the #80 tatting thread/crochet cotton. I keep meaning to do an online search and find out the "official" sizing scale for sewing thread, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.