Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I still haven't finished the doily, in fact I haven't worked on it at all since that picture was posted. I'm not entirely happy with the way the ninth round back came out, and am debating whether to rip back to that point. This was the round that I had such trouble with, and I'm still not quite sure it looks right.

While I mull over that problem, I started another crochet piece. It's the Daffodil Filet Table Runner, designed by Hugo Kirchmaier in 1919, recharted by Sandi Marshall. I'm making this in the same sewing thread that I used for the doily last summer, Coats #50 Machine Quilting and Crafts 100% cotton, and a #14 steel hook.



The website says this doily comes out about 21" x 60" when made with #30 crochet cotton, but my sewing thread version looks about 12" wide at the moment. It may narrow a bit when it's stretched lengthwise as well as widthwise and the filet mesh actually becomes squares rather than rectangles.



Six rows so far, and just under half an inch high. Each filet square is 3 mm wide (0.1 in).

2 comments:

PJ said...

WOW!!! Some times I look at pictures before reading and this was one of those times...to myself I said, "Is THAT SEWING thread???" then I read...it is!!! Let me ask..I've never used anything smaller than 10 thread...so a 50# thread is a 30 size? WOW!!! love it can't wait to see the progress!!

cyndy said...

Sue -I am amazed at your patience and dexterity! It is so nice to see you working on a pattern that was designed in 1919! Cannot wait to see the daffodils take shape!