Monday, January 08, 2007

Emma likes Noggin, a kid's channel on TV. I like it as well, because it shows programs that are non-violent, imaginative, usually cute, somewhat educational, and there are no commercials. In between programs they show little short cartoons, problem-solving skits (counting, patterning, shapes, etc) by the Noggin hosts (a moose and a blue bird), simple cooking recipes that kids can do mostly by themselves, and music videos. One of the regulars for the music videos is Laurie Berkner, and there's one of her songs that I particularly like:

----------
I'm Not Perfect

by Laurie Berkner

I’m not perfect, no I’m not.
I’m not perfect, but I’ve got what I’ve got-
I do my very best, I do my very best,
I do my very best each day,
But I’m not perfect
And I hope you like me that way.

We’re not perfect, no we’re not.
We’re not perfect, but we’ve got what we’ve got-
We do our very best, we do our very best,
We do our very best each day,
But we’re not perfect
And I hope you like us that way.

You’re not perfect, no you’re not.
You’re not perfect, but you’ve got what you’ve got-
You do your very best, you do your very best,
You do your very best each day,
But you’re not perfect-

And you know I love you that way.

------------------

I think this is a wonderful message for kids (and adults) to hear. As often as possible, sincerely and honestly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We got hooked on Noggin when we still lived in Florida. AG is really only interested in Play With Me Sesame but I love Moose and Bird.

iTunes has a lot of Laurie Berkner's music. After hearing her on Noggin I downloaded some of it for AG. Under A Shady Tree is one of my favorites.

P.S. I've been meaning to tell you how much I like the Urchin Shawl. BUT, when I saw that you were about to stick that thing in a pot of hot dye bath I about had a kitten! It turned out beautiful but you scared the daylights out of me.