Thursday, January 10, 2008

Emma was playing in her room with her dolls earlier this afternoon- tucking them into their cradle, "feeding" them, rocking them, singing, completely absorbed in her play. I paused on my way to do laundry, watched for a couple seconds, and commented, "It looks like you're taking good care of them, sweetie." Just off-hand, you know, sort of laughing.

She looked up at me, very serious, and said "I learned how because you take such good care of me, Mommy."

I couldn't breathe. Talking was certainly out of the question. I will treasure this fifteen second interaction forever.

I gave her a big hug, she went back to her playing, and I continued on with the laundry. I have been thinking about this all afternoon. In that one sentence, Emma summed up... everything.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, you made MY night with that comment. That is something to treasure.

Caroline M said...

It's why you do it, it's not only about trying to turn out a good child but also about trying to raise a good parent. How smart of her to realise that.

Leigh said...

Oh gosh, what a precious story. One of those you will treasure forever.

I had a similar incident when my daughter was about 13 or so. She had been doing some housework as a surprise for me and DH complimented her on doing such a good job. She replied, "Well, I just did what I though Mom would do." Wow. That was a shocker. We really don't realize how closely they're watching and imitating, do we? And that could be for good or bad!

Laritza said...

A wonderful moment in your life for sure. What a smart child she is.

Anonymous said...

I just got tears in my eyes from reading that.

Suz said...

Aw, what a sweet kid!

froggiemeanie said...

That's AWESOME.

weebug said...

how incredibly sweet and priceless!

Liz said...

Awww!

I've said it before, Sue, and I'll say it again: you have done such an amazing job with Emma. This story really demonstrates how kids are sponges, and pick up on *everything*.

PJ said...

What validation...an awesome moment in motherhood :) Wish these moments could be captured in a jar...but then..maybe that would lessen them...
Thank you so much for sharing your private precious moment with your child.

Jackie said...

What a nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

sweetest. story. ever. you are indeed a good mom, sister o mine, not that there should have been any doubt.

Cathy said...

Lovely story - and makes it all worth while.