Thursday, January 24, 2008

I can't believe it's been two weeks since I posted. I guess that what an apathy-inducing sinus cold will do. All I've wanted to do is sleep. Or read. Or vegetate in front of the computer or TV. I have been keeping up with the exercise classes, though. Except for a *cough* slight falling-down *cough* during the Christmas/New Year's week, I haven't missed a class. Go me!

Today I actually managed to clean a third of my house. I undecorated the Christmas tree last weekend, and the crispy naked tree has been standing in the living room all week, dropping needles. I finally got around to taking it outside today, and it was so satisfying to vacuum up all the needles off the carpet. Emma and I got the living room and dining room done today, tomorrow we tackle the bedrooms, and Saturday is for the bathrooms.

I have been doing some spinning and some dyeing, though, and made some lovely things. I haven't taken pictures of the spinning yet, though it's been a WEEK since the yarn was done (see apathy, above). This is the dyeing I did last Sunday:



Four big skeins (ranging from 3.3 oz to 4.0 oz) of Jaggerspun Zephyr, sparkling in the sun, slightly washed out from the brightness and silken shine. Lots of winding and rewinding, but so worth it. I love Zephyr.

I called this one "Lilac Dream", mostly solid lavender with some pink and blue mottling:



This one is "Blue Pearl", shades of very very light blue:



This is "Aquamarine", light green and blue:



And this is "Windflower," swirled with lavender and green and blue and pink:



I put all these up for sale in my Etsy shop, just to see if they'd sell. It was hard, because they're so pretty, especially the Windflower.

However, I dyed these specifically to sell, and earn a little extra money since my hours at work have been temporarily reduced. (I don't think it's a permanent reduction, it's just that the winter is a slow season for field work. They're telling me it should pick up in the next month or so. The upside? I get four day weekends for the next little while.) And what do you know, the Blue Pearl already sold! Partial electric bill- check!

It was fun dyeing these. I've mostly done deeper colors before this, but I like the way the pastels came out too. Perfect for a delicate spring lace shawl or stole.

I didn't mean for this post to turn into a commercial, but the dyeing is just pretty much all I did this week, and oh-so-photogenic. Tomorrow, I'll show the spinning, which is NOT for sale!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Loving these!! I would snatch some up but my credit card is still reeling from holiday purchases!

Caroline M said...

They are lovely, it is so difficult to get a lace yarn with a subtle colour change rather than outrageous stripes. Zephyr retails here at $17 for 2oz (and that's just for plain) which is why I buy mine on the cone)

Kris said...

They are so beautiful. Your spinning skills amaze me!

Sue said...

Ack! Just to be clear, this is not handspun, only hand dyed!

cyndy said...

Those colors are lovely Sue~ they are making me think of spring...ahh...