Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Remember the suri alpaca that Caroline sent me a few months ago? The batch I combed and spun into a silky, drapey laceweight yarn?

Here's the picture that I posted in January, before I ran it through my wheel again to tighten the ply twist a bit.

And here's what I did to it last night:

This is not the true color. In real life it is both darker and richer, a deep, saturated wine red. Claret. My camera wanted it it be fuchsia, so I had to fiddle in Photoshop and this is as close as I could get. This is frustrating, but you'll just have to take my word for it, it is gorgeous.

I used Jacquard dyes, Fire Red and Black, and that combination over the fawn yarn was perfect. It took forever for the dyebath to exhaust because the color is so saturated, but when I rinsed the yarn, it didn't lose any dye.

It is exactly what I wanted, exactly what I pictured in my mind while I was spinning. This will be weft in a scarf, with a contrasting warp, in some sort of twill. Yummy.


Caroline M said...

Will you just look at that, it's gorgeous. I dyed mine red and I made it into a cabled yarn with some chocolate merino but it didn't do exactly what I wanted so it never made it beyond a sample.

I shall wait patiently to see photos of the scarf (don't worry, I'm good at waiting)

Cathy said...

Wonderful - can't wait to see the end result!