Monday, April 06, 2009

The spinning has commenced:



Seven of 30 batts turned into singles this weekend.

I'm LOVING spinning these batts. Effortless, fluid, beautiful. I switched my technique a bit after sampling some more. I'm now doing a long draw, but still smoothing down the singles and compacting them just a bit as they wind onto the bobbin. As in the original chain-plied samples, I'm doing lower-twist (not minimum-twist, but on the low side) on the singles, and will ply just a bit beyond balanced, to give the finished yarn bounce. On my various samples, at least, this gave an elastic yarn with good resistance to abrasion, but still nice and lofty and soft.

I don't even have to predraft the batts at all. I just tear them into 4-6 strips and spin spin spin.

2 comments:

cyndy said...

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

...sounds like F-U-N!

PJ said...

Look at that smiling face over your wonderful work! I'm late getting to read my blogs, but I'm so glad it turned out ok..I know scary for you mom!