Monday, May 04, 2009

I don't think I mentioned it here, but I got a new bike this winter, a road bike. I've been riding Shaun's old mountain bike since last summer, and still have it set up for pulling the trailer, but it's heavy and somewhat slow, with the big knobby tires, and the shifting mechanisms are somewhat jumpy (as in, I can only get into about half the gears). The mountain bike was great for riding back and forth to work in the winter, when the roads were wet or snowy, but the road bike is so much faster and lighter.

Anyway, Shaun and I did a charity ride yesterday, which benefits the Mt. Emily Safe Center. I am quite happy to report that I successfully completed the second-longest course, a total of 33.7 miles! I did it in 2 1/2 hours (average speed: 13.7 mph), and I am extremely proud of myself. That's the longest ride I've done since college, twenty years ago. AND surprisingly, I didn't feel wiped out when I was done. My feet were frozen (oh, yes, it was raining and in the low 50's, did I mention that?) and I was tired, but not destroyed. Of course, I did fall into bed a bit after 9:00 last night, but I'm not at all sore today.

Biking is fun.

1 comment:

cyndy said...

Veerrrry good for you! I'm impressed! (esp. since you are not sore at all!)