It's about six months later than I intended, but I finally got around to bottling the tinctures/extracts I made last summer. Part of the problem was that I didn't have any bottles, but mostly I was just lazy.
I ordered a case of 4-ounce cobalt glass bottles from Mountain Rose Herbs this week, and they arrived yesterday. They're so pretty! I tried to take a picture with the sun shining through them, but it ended up being mostly glare. Still, I think you can get the effect.
I strained out the plant matter this afternoon, and ended up with two and a half bottles of lemon verbena extract, one and a half bottles of peppermint extract, and half a bottle of lavender extract.
The lemon verbena came out very nice, and is quite lemony. The peppermint is good and strong. The lavender is very, very, VERY strong, almost too strong to even taste. I don't really know what I'm going to use the lavender for because it's so strong, but we'll see. It'll be interesting to see if a few drops in a recipe gives a non-overpowering lavender flavor. It may have been better if I hadn't left the plant matter to infuse in the alcohol for six months...
I think the first experiment will be a batch of lemon verbena cookies next weekend.