Monday, May 02, 2016

Masdevallia strobelii

One of the orchids I got at the Portland orchid show a couple weeks ago is blooming!  I can't take credit for the flowers, since it came in bud, but I can take credit for keeping the plant happy enough that it kept the buds going!

Masdevallia strobelii

This is Masdevallia strobelii, native to Ecuador. It's a miniature species, with the leaves only standing about 3 inches tall.

Masdevallia strobelii

The flowers are carried slightly above the leaves, and are beautiful.  The triangular tubular body of the flower (formed by the sepals) is about an inch long, with three "tails" that span three inches.

Masdevallia strobelii

The interior faces of the sepals are covered with glistening hairs, which are sparkly in the sun.  And as a bonus, it's very sweetly fragrant!

Masdevallia strobelii

It came with four buds, of which two are now open.  It seems very happy on my kitchen windowsill, and I look forward to watching this one grow.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm pretty sure this one is my favorite!!