Sunday, July 02, 2017

Tomatoes and potatoes

Today, July 2, we picked our first tomatoes.  Two delicious perfect Sun Gold cherry tomatoes.  These are still in pots on my deck, because I'm a pitiful slacker, but they are producing.

Untitled

I would also like to show our potato tower experiment.

Untitled

Emma and I planted this in the beginning of June, with the seed potato chunks on 6 inches of straw and six inches of topsoil.  As they grew, we filled in with more topsoil and straw around the edges, and the plants have now filled the entire tower and are spilling over the top and poking out the sides.

I don't know what sort of yield we'll get, but we started with one pound of seed potatoes, on sale at the farm supply store for $0.69.  I'm guessing there's going to be a net gain.

No comments: