Thursday, February 03, 2005

Ok, so either I can't count, or Emma hid one of the bobbins of finished yarn. I was skeining off the yarn last night, and after I had finished three, what do I see but Emma carrying around another full bobbin! She must have absconded with it last night while I was still plying. So my six bobbins of singles went into FOUR skeins, not three.

Anyway, I got them all skeined, tied, counted, and weighed. Every skein is within a yard of length and a tenth of an ounce of the others! This astounds me. I have never spun this consistently, ever. Yay me!

Looking at the one skein I washed, I'm also pleased to say that it seems to be a balanced yarn- no kinking or twisting. It puffed up nicely after washing, and is soft and squishy. I can't wait to see how this knits up.

I must get a new niddy-noddy, though. Mine is the homemade (as opposed to handcrafted, which would be OK) one which came with my (used) wheel. It's falling apart, and was never really comfortable to use anyway. I'm still debating whether to just order one, or make one myself. I'll probably order one, just 'cause it's quicker, and I need to place an order with The Woolery anyway for a new drive band and an oil bottle. I would like to get a niddy-noddy that comes apart, though. They're so awkward to store.

Oh, and the kicker- I showed the yarn to a (non-fibery) friend, and she said, "Wow, you made that? It looks like real yarn!" Ummm, thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Brenda so this isn't anonymous, I just don't want to do the sign up thing. Anyway, I am in the same position as you. I need to do something about my niddy-noddy. I finally got an umbrella swift to go with my ball winder and realized that my homemade niddy-noddy must be several inches too long. My skeins won't stay on the swift, no matter what. Since mine NN is homemade of PVC I can just cut off a few inches. But all my old skeins will be too long. =(