Friday, May 20, 2005

As promised, here's a shot of the sweater-in-progress. I decided not to post the one I was going to post yesterday, since I've done more on it since then. I finished the front, attached the shoulders, and started a sleeve last night.



This is a very basic sweater, just rectangles front and back with a little neck shaping in front, and then sleeves picked up and knit in the round from the shoulder to the cuff, decreasing a bit along the way. Easy peasy. I just needed something relatively mindless to keep my hands busy while waiting in the hospital, but still with enough stitch variation to keep me interested. Since I left home without any yarn or needles or anything (I was a little distracted at the time- actually, I'm a bit surprised I managed to pack anything useful at all), my sister and aunt and I made a trip to a Jo-Ann's near the hospital in Bangor to get supplies.

I ended up with Wool-Ease in a pretty heathered blue color and a circular needle. I didn't want to spend a lot, and I've got a complete set of Addi circs at home, so I only got one needle, though I prefer to knit in the round with two circulars. The yarn is pretty, but it feels plasticky to me even though it does have some wool in it. I prefer Encore as an acrylic/wool blend. Apparently I am a bit of a yarn snob after all. Who knew! It's machine wash and dry, though, and that's the important thing for a kid's sweater that will get worn a lot.

Oh, and the Lego in the picture? Emma very carefully carried it over and put it down there as I was laying out the sweater. When I moved it to take the picture, she said, "NO-NO Mommy! No-no-no." Then she put it back, patted it, and said "Good." Who am I to argue with creative genius?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I like Encore better than Wool-Ease too. yay for Emma's creative placing of Legos!