Thursday, May 19, 2005

Today I added the 40th bird species to my yard list- the Black-headed Grosbeak. This was tremendously exciting because not only is it new for the yard list, it's new on my Life List. That makes 378 total bird species seen, 122 of them in Washington state, and 117 on the island where I live. I believe I mentioned that I am a geek. Shaun thinks it's hilarious that I keep multiple bird lists. We won't even go into the lists for butterflies, moths, dragonflies, damselflies, frogs, salamanders, reptiles, fish (freshwater and salt, with a separate one for darters), wildflowers, mammals (terrestrial and marine), seaweeds, marine bivalves, marine snails, freshwater bivalves, freshwater snails, and on and on. My Excel "Life List" workbook has 36 spreadsheets in it.

In fibery news, I have resumed knitting on the child's aran sweater I started in the hospital last month. I had gotten the body done (in the round) to the underarms, and most of the back (knit flat above the underarm). Last night I finished the back, and got to the neck shaping on the front. I'm not using a pattern for this, I was just making up the sizing and cable pattern as I went along. I think it'll fit about a 6 or 7 year old child- the body circumference is 28". This should be a quick finish, hopefully by the end of the weekend. I did take a picture of the progress so far, but silly me forgot the camera at home today. Tomorrow for sure!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess I can join you on the geek list. I don't keep a bird list but I do keep a bird journel, a trip jopurnel, a christmas journel, a knitting journel and of course a journel journel. Plus for fun I like to identify wildfowers which drives my husband nuts as we never get anywhere as every foot I have my head in my wildflower book.

Suz said...

You so totally have to come to South Texas with all of our gazillions of birds and world birding centers.

And I'm not a birder, but to prove I hang around too many (or it's that Master Naturalist thing), I recognized the name, and *didn't click on your link* but looked it up in my bird book. Sure 'nuff we've got them wintering ;)

I like the butterflies bestest, misself ;)

Liz said...

I'm only learning about birds, so my bird list is just mental for now. I think it's great that you have all your lists!