Well, I finally finished the three bookmarks. They took just one evening each, including the designing, and the only excuse I can think of for why it took me so long to finish is that I’m lazy. But they’re done, and mailed out. The hemstitching took far longer than the actual embroidery.
I called them “hardanger bookmarks” in a previous post, but they aren’t truly what I think of as hardanger. They do use traditional motifs and pulled-thread eyelets, but there’s no cutwork. To me, it’s the cutwork and filling stitches that make it “hardanger.” Here are a few examples of original design bookmarks I did last summer (that won blue ribbons at the County Fair!)
Those are hardanger. However, I needed quick gifts, and bookmarks like these take more time. Simple embroidery won out.
Oh, and the first stripey petunia opened today!