Wednesday, October 25, 2006

After a much too long break, I've picked up the urchin shawl again. I haven't really worked on this project much since the beginning of August, what with selling the house and the packing and moving and colds and the Fair, and then the vacation in which I planned to knit but never did. And, of course, the new loom.



I've done nine rounds in the past three days, and today I passed a very significant milestone. I've completed through Round 230 (of 291), and have now tipped over the 50% mark!!!! (This, according to my masochistic spreadsheet that I really should just delete off my computer.) I'm actually 62.4% done with the body of the shawl, but when you add in the edging, it's only 50.3% done.

I have 1140 stitches on the needle right now. Each round takes approximately 45 minutes to knit. This is definitely a project that's about enjoying the process and being patient.

From what I can tell, it has about a 28-29" radius right now, meaning that the finished diameter of the body will end up around 70", which is exactly what I was planning.

I have a ring marker separating each section around the shawl. Nine of them are green. One is red. Green means "Keep going, you're not at the end of the round yet, but you can do it! Go Sue Go!"



I adore the red ring.

3 comments:

PJ said...

hahaha...I bet you DO! (red ring) simply put: WOW 1140 stiches..sure don't want to drop one and recount! I forgot all about this one so glad you revisited it. I'm cheering you on ...every row! Love the color and it looks so soft!

Anonymous said...

I'm still amazed at your talent. You've got "skillz". I can't wait too see this in completion. Are you going to enter this in next year's fair????

cyndy said...

1140 stitches, schwew...I'd be patting myself on the back just for casting them on the needle!! The urchin is looking beautiful..a fitting reward for your patience.