Wednesday, October 25, 2006

So far, I'm pleased with Blogger beta.......EXCEPT that for some reason, I'm not getting all the comments emailed to me anymore! Waaa! Those of us who don't get hundreds of comments per post consider the ones we do get to be precious! So those of you who have commented on the past few posts, sorry I didn't see them right away, and thanks for commenting! Not sure why this is happening- I have the settings on the blog correct to get comments emailed, and I've written to Blogger, but of course haven't heard back yet. It also seems to be sending all the comments from noreply-comment@blogger.com, so I can't even write back to the ones that do get through (though I did find an email address on the person's blog in a couple cases).

Anyway. Fiber content. I did another round on the urchin shawl this morning in between loads of laundry. Tidied up the loom room a bit. Browsed through some weaving books.

To all the weavers out there- Does anyone have recommendations for good books for four to eight harness patterns? Several came with my loom: I have "Foot Treadle Loom Weaving" by Edward Worst (1976), "200 Patterns for Multiple Harness Looms" by Russell Groff (1979), and "A Handweaver's Pattern Book- Revised Edition" by Marguerite Davison (1944). I know the Davison book is one of the standards, but what else is good?

4 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Sue,

That shawl is going to be gorgeous! I'm liking beta blogger, also, but same here with the no-reply return addy when I'm notified about a post. Makes it hard to exchange email. Feel free to email me here: zeebaweava at aol dot com. I rarely check my rockartifacts mail as I've had the site for so many years that every spambot in the universe has the addy and even with my spam shredders it's a pain.

Gosh, 8 harness books. I really like More Than Eight, I love the Davison book, and A Weaver's Book of 8-Shaft Patterns From the Friends of Handwoven Magazine is good, too.

Also, The Complete Book of Drafting For Handweavers, by Madelyn Van der Hoogt, is one of the best books you can ever have. It really teaches how to draft your own patterns and how to understand the basic weave structures upon which most patterns are built. A lot of bang for the buck!

Happy Wednesday :)

Jane

Christine said...

I really love the book "Mastering Weave Structures" from Interweave Press, but!!! You really need to check the corrections on their website (www.interweave.com) before you start any projects. They make great books, but seem to have problems editing. By the way, I adore your denim rugs!

Leigh said...

Well, I've had the same problems with original blogger, so I don't think it's just beta. The blogger folks do seem to try and work out problems however.

For weaving books (I only have 4 shafts) another good one is Helene Bress's The Weaving Book. It's expensive (about $65 I think), but it has over 3,000 weaving patterns in it, covering plalin weave, twill, overshot, monk's belt, and huck. It has sections on multiple harness twills, overshot, and huck. It could keep a weaver busy for a loooooong time.

Anonymous said...

Since you've switched, I haven't gotten your new posts via Bloglines. I've resubscribed to your feed, so hopefully that will fix it.